Download resume as PDF
William O. McCabe is founder and president of The McCabe Group, LLC, a leadership and safety culture consultancy. He formed the firm in 2006, following 25 years of distinguished service with the U.S. Air Force, from which he retired with the rank of Colonel, and a second successful 16-year career as an executive with the DuPont Company. He is a seasoned leader and strategist with 50 years of aerospace/aviation contributions. His extensive experience includes a wide variety of military operational command and industry management roles.
In his practice Mr. McCabe supports senior leaders in a variety of industry and government organizations. In 2008 the U.S. Secretary of Transportation appointed him to the five-member Independent Review Team (IRT) she commissioned to assess the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) airline regulatory oversight. From 2009 to 2012 he served as an executive advisor to the FAA Air Traffic Operations senior leadership. This included benchmarking with the FAA's Canadian, European, and Australian ANSP/NSA counterparts. He was one of four recognized safety experts selected in 2010 by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority board of directors to provide operational safety leadership guidance for its senior management. In 2014 the Secretary of Transportation appointed him to the IRT assessing the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's regulatory oversight of the nation's interstate trucking and motor coach industry. He is on the Board of Governors for the international nonprofit Flight Safety Foundation, as well as on the Board of its Australian affiliate.
Mr. McCabe brought to industry broad military experience at levels of responsibility that included executive leadership. He had extensive Air Force operational experience, including tactical fighter aircraft combat in Southeast Asia and strategic bombardment combat readiness in various command positions. As Chief, Aircrew Training for the former Strategic Air Command (SAC), he materially enhanced the Command's combat effectiveness. As the COO-equivalent of a B-52 bombardment wing, he planned, coordinated, and executed management policies for the 4,500-person organization, with capital assets of $1.8 billion. In Washington, DC, he formulated the B-1B bomber acquisition plans and policies and was the Pentagon spokesperson for the $20 billion program. As Director of Combat Plans for SAC, he led a joint Air Force/Navy staff in developing integrated operational plans for the nation's strategic nuclear forces.
Later, in DuPont, Mr. McCabe held a number of key senior leadership roles focused on the aerospace/aviation industry. He founded and led the DuPont Aerospace Enterprise, an innovative marketing initiative among 10 major internal lines of business, materially enhancing the firm's $500 million aerospace sales. He achieved Six Sigma certification for improving the company's strategic customer account practices. As Global Managing Director, DuPont Aviation, he led a multi-location, multi-aircraft fleet providing the Company's global businesses with domestic and international air transportation. Under his leadership, his Aviation team achieved 9 straight years of workplace injury-free performance. He also drove new business opportunities as the global aviation business advisor for DuPont Sustainable Solutions, the Company's safety consulting arm. In that capacity, in 2005 he worked with Qantas Airways and the Petrobras Corp. to advance their aviation “below the wing” work place safety performance.
Mr. McCabe was the DuPont senior representative to the Aerospace Industries Association of America (AIA) for 13 years. He was a member of its Board of Governors and is past chairman of its Civil Aviation Council. He served for 10 years on the board of directors for DuPont Vespel Parts and Shapes. He is currently on the board of the nonprofit Delaware Aerospace Education Foundation. Mr. McCabe is a 2012 inductee in the Delaware Aviation Hall of Fame.
Board Governance Experience
- Board of Governors, Aerospace Industries Association (DuPont Representative 1994-2006)
- Board of Directors, DuPont Vespel Parts & Shapes (1995-2006)
- Board of Governors, Flight Safety Foundation, Inc. (2001-Present)
- Board of Governors, Flight Safety Foundation, Ltd. Australia (2013-Present)
- Listed, National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) Registry
- Board of Directors, Delaware Aerospace Education Foundation (1991-Present)
Global Industrial Consulting Experience
- Leadership development & management (industry; U.S. and local government)
- Organizational cultures (business, USDOT [FAA, FMCSA], Wash. Metro Area Transit Auth., U.S. Air Force)
- Air navigation service provider (ANSP) and national supervisory authority (NSA) senior leadership benchmarking in Europe, Canada, and Australia
- Strategic business/marketing planning and customer relationships (Industry)
- Safety management systems (aviation, multi-industry, U.S. and international government)
Personal Academic & Professional Education
- BA, Political Science, Brooklyn College, New York
- MS, Industrial Guidance, Troy University, Alabama
U.S. Air Force Professional Education
- Operational line leadership (Squadron Officer School, Distinguished Graduate)
- Mid-level executive (Air Command & Staff College, Distinguished Graduate)
- Senior executive (Air War College, Distinguished Graduate)
Education & Training Management Experience
- Designed prototype structure for FAA Air Traffic Operations 2011 integration of its Safety and Technical Training organizations
- Air Force leadership education & training (Air University faculty, operational mentoring)
- Pilot & combat aircrew training (hands-on instruction and management)
- Strategic Air Command combat aircrew training (senior policy & management)